Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Full Moon or Baby Moon?

As I sit here trying to organize my brain cells into some order of wakefulness I am taken back to the time I spent in Berlin where I was purposefully awake. I remember sitting at the window of the hostel we stayed in Die Fabrik, and looking out of the window that opened in the quiet backyard. I could see the moon in all its glory, shining through the curtains and I thought to myself that the moon in Berlin looks just like the moon in India...what a coincidence!!! On a more serious note, a full moon conveys such starkly different meanings to different peoples. In India, the full moon is good, auspicious and is celebrated. In most western cultures the full moon, mythologically meant the werewolves were probably waking up in some part of Dracula land or that the lunatics were about to get more lunatic. The word 'Luna' latin for moon, itself is the root of the word lunatic. But why did anyone think/come up with the thought that the full moon, one of the most beautiful celestial bodies, could be the source of madness? I think they were kinda crazy themselves and just wanted to hang it on poor moon. I am rambling now and this is what happens when you don't sleep for 8 hours a day. In fact this is what happens when you sleep for 4 hours or less a day - you become mildly lunatic - full moon or no full moon!

No comments: